The United States Space Force invited reporters to a groundbreaking ceremony, arranged a government escort van to bring them onto the base, and then had security pull everyone out of that van at gunpoint. The journalists missed the event they were invited to cover. The military personnel assigned to the base got handcuffed. Nobody involved in planning this day appears to have spoken to anyone else involved in planning this day.
What Actually Happened on Monday
According to The Guardian and local outlets Noozhawk and KEYT, the incident took place Monday at Vandenberg Space Force Base near Santa Barbara, California. Five reporters from Noozhawk, KEYT, KSBY-TV, and the Santa Maria Times/Lompoc Record had been invited to an exclusive groundbreaking ceremony for a new training facility for missile operators. Invitation-only. They were being escorted by uniformed public affairs staff in a government minivan.
Then base security apparently decided none of that mattered. Officers ordered everyone out of the vehicles with hands raised. Guns were drawn. Sirens went off. Barricades went up at the gate. The two military members in the group, one enlisted and one a junior officer, were handcuffed and placed in base vehicles. The civilian journalists were ordered to sit on a curb like teenagers caught shoplifting.
They were held for more than 30 minutes. They missed the event. Then everyone was released without charges, because of course they were, because they had been invited there by the military itself.
The Official Explanation Is Doing a Lot of Heavy Lifting
Space Launch Delta 30 put out a statement to Noozhawk calling the whole thing a "breakdown in communication." Which is technically accurate in the same way that the Titanic experienced a breakdown in buoyancy.
The statement noted that Vandenberg is seeing "an increased number of unauthorized entry attempts" and that "every potential unauthorized presence must be treated as a legitimate threat until proven otherwise." Fair enough, in isolation. Bases have real security concerns. Unauthorized access to a facility that handles missile operations is not a trivial matter.
But these people were in a government van. Being driven by uniformed public affairs staff. To an event that the base's own public affairs office had organized and to which the reporters had been formally invited. At what point in that chain does "potential unauthorized presence" become the working theory? Who looked at this convoy and thought: suspicious?
The Press Got an Education in How This Works
Noozhawk editor in chief Tom Bolton issued a statement Wednesday that was, given the circumstances, remarkably measured. "We respect the military's need to provide security for the base," Bolton said, according to The Guardian. "But clearly what occurred was unfortunate and unnecessary, and potentially dangerous, as firearms were drawn."
Dangerous is the right word. Drawn firearms at a confused security checkpoint are not a theoretical risk. These are situations where someone flinches wrong and the outcome is irreversible. The reporters sat on a curb for half an hour not because they did anything wrong but because a communication failure inside the base's own security apparatus put guns in their faces.
Bolton said he hopes to sit down with base leadership to review what happened and prevent it from recurring. Good luck with that. The debrief should be short: someone invited journalists, forgot to tell security, and the journalists got guns pointed at them. Write that down. Put it in the training.
This Is Space Force, Remember
It is worth pausing on the fact that this is Space Force, the branch of the military that spent its first few years of existence being the punchline of a Netflix comedy series. The branch has been working overtime to be taken seriously, to establish a distinct identity, to show the country that it is a legitimate and necessary addition to the US military structure.
Holding your own invited press at gunpoint and making them miss the ceremony they came to cover is not a great PR moment for any organization. For Space Force specifically, which still has to fight the "is this real" question at every cocktail party, it is something approaching a catastrophe of optics.
Vandenberg, to be clear, is a serious installation. It handles satellite launches and missile testing. The security imperatives are real. None of that changes the fact that on Monday, a government van full of invited guests drove up to the front gate and got the business end of a very embarrassing failure.
The Dingo Take
You are supposed to believe this was simply a communication breakdown, a bureaucratic hiccup, the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. That is probably exactly what it was. And that is the problem. Not a conspiracy, not malice, just an institution so poorly coordinated that it cannot get a message from its own public affairs office to its own security gate before the guests it invited arrive at that gate in a van driven by its own uniformed staff.
Drawn firearms are not a communication breakdown. They are the end result of one. The gap between "we invited these people" and "security knows these people are coming" should not be the gap where guns appear. That gap getting bridged is the entire job of whoever planned this event. Somewhere in the Space Force bureaucracy, someone organized a press event and then did not complete the single most operationally critical step of that event: telling the guards.
Bolton wants a conversation with base leadership, which is gracious of him given that his reporters spent half an hour on a curb with firearms pointed in their direction. The Space Force owes them more than a conversation. It owes them a public accounting of exactly how this happened and exactly what changes so it does not happen again. "Increased unauthorized entry attempts" is not a reason to draw weapons on a government van. It is a reason to improve coordination. Those are two different things, and the base confused them badly on Monday.




Comments